Labels

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Places to visit in Daejeon, a Korean city less travelled

My fiance lives a in city called Daejeon in South Korea. Most tourists know about Seoul, Jeju and Busan. Fewer would have travelled in-land. Daejeon is near the middle of South Korea, which is better known as the Silicon Valley of Korea.
Circled in red is Daejeon.

There are many corporate research institutes, centres and science parks in Daejeon, for example Daedeok Innopolis is composed of 28 state-run research centres, 79 private research institutes, with as many as 20,000 researchers. One of the famous institutions is KAIST. In addition, Daejeon Government Complex was constructed to move some government offices away from the densely populated capital Seoul. 

In this city less travelled, there are a few places which I will always go. The first being the hair salon. I am able to colour my hair, rebond and curl the ends with merely $100-140. It is really value for money. In Singapore, one will probably pay around $400-500 for similar service. The salon is called 하얀 미용실, located at Taepyeong 2 (I)-dong, Jung-Gu, Daejeon. You can also call +82 42-542-8545. However, you may need to converse in Korean. Not many people in Daejeon speaks fluent English, unlike Seoul which is more cosmopolitan. My Sungsoo is a rare Daejeon-er who can speak good English. :) 
Location of 하얀 미용실

This is me during my first visit to this salon.

The second place which I have good memories of is the jewelry shop called 골드인 (Gold-In). It is very near Daejeong Station. This is where Sungsoo bought both the couple ring and my engagement ring.
Location of 골드인


This is me outside 골드인.

I tried on their tiara... Suddenly, I looked very princessyyy. :)

My bling bling engagement ring from dear Sungsoo.

Other places which I love hanging out are the supermarkets (Homeplus and Costco). I used to go to Costco in California, USA. I love mega shops, as there are so many things to see. But you would need to buy in bulk. Homeplus is within a stone-throw from where Sungsoo stay. We usually buy fresh yoghurt before heading home.

Costco. Even the trolley is so huge that can fit me inside.

Homeplus. Sungsoo and his fashionable mom. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment